From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 12:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Diaphragm Chords

Quick poll, does anyone know of a condition when Em (Omega) forces are required for diaphragm chords?  As I mentioned before, I am studying for the SE II exam.  A sample problem from NCEES did just that with a plywood diaphragm and masonry shearwalls.  I can't find a provision that even hints this is required.  I know about struts / collectors, but have never seen a chord checked with this combination.

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT