Re: Moment Frame Question

Likewise here in non-shakey land, it is done quite often and it makes sense where you can keep most of the gravity load moments confined to the beams.
Gary

John Riley wrote:
As far as I know, it's done quite often. The effect is that the columns are spared some of the gravity load moments. JPR

For a two story steel moment frame, a contractor is requesting to have the floor beam frame on top of the first floor column, and the second floor column frame on top of the beam, as opposed to the column being continuous
and the beams attaching to the side of the column. what do you guys think?

Thanx for your input

Tarek Mokhtar, SE
Laguna Beach, Ca