Wood supporting masonry or concrete - UBC 2307

Title: Wood supporting masonry or concrete - UBC 2307

Jeff,

I'm not sure of the origin of the 4" limit in the UBC, however, we recently updated this provision in the IBC. Note, there's a requirement to check wood members for long-term loading (creep) per NDS(r) 3.5.2 if the slab exceeds 4" thickness. Here's a link to an article that appeared in Structure Magazine recently that provides a little more background:

http://www.structuremag.org/archives/2006/April-06/D-CUPD-IBC-Wood-Framing.pdf

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.