re: PEMB ftgs

Rich,
Seems like you are doing it the way I have always done it and seen it done. Like someone else said, unless you have to drop your footing for frost reasons, you just design the column footings as monolithic with the slab and the thickened edge. All my PEMB work is in Florida so uplift is usually our biggest problem, not the gravity loads. Designing as a rectangular footing parallel with the edge of the building, like a cont wall footing, could help reduce the effects of the eccentricity but it will always be there...

I will sometimes play around with the geometry of the monolithic footing and try and utilize the slab and thickened edge to help resist the uplift. This may let me reduce the footing size and then I just thicken and reinforce an area around the footing in the slab to help with the uplift, reducing overall concrete and using the slab that was already there...

HTH,
Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL