RE: uplift straps/ home builders

Having both been involved in the hearings and having contributed to the article, I guess I should de-lurk and respond to the comments here.

First, I should note that we're not opposed to code provisions for hurricane clips and straps where there is a demonstrated need; hurricane-prone areas or longer-span roof trusses, for example.  And certainly any engineer or builder who wants to provide ties & straps even in a low-hazard region is welcome to (and we have members who do, just like we have members who fully sheath in OSB even when they could easily use the other braced wall methods).

Our concerns with the proposals were that they appeared to lower the current triggers in the code for strapping versus toe-nailing and did not appear to incorporate reasonable assumptions for dead loads resisting uplift.  The result was that in 90mph and less areas it looked like you weren't going to be able to have much more than a 20 foot span before you were going to have to start strapping.  We were working at the hearings with a bunch of folks on a modified proposal that would have increased the nailing requirements in lower-hazard areas but still would have kept what we felt was an appropriate trigger for requiring straps. Unfortunately, the moderator for the IRC committee was taking a hard line on floor modifications, so we'll have to come back with a public comment on that issue.

The roof truss proposal we were concerned about mandated the use of the roof uplift values from the truss design drawings over the values obtained from the current Table 802.11 in the IRC.  Feedback from our members suggested there are truss designers in states with multiple wind zones who either for simplicity or by local code are designing all trusses to the maximum wind speeds in the state.  Thus, under the proposal a builder could have been required to provide uplift connections based on (for example) a 120mph wind on a dwelling in a 90mph zone just because the truss engineer opted (or was required) to use the higher loads.

As for Katrina, it should be noted that much of the affected area had no statewide building code in force at the time.  And even with a building code adopted, in a hurricane-prone area you'd be outside the prescriptive limits of the IRC anyway and be designing per the Wood Frame Construction Manual or SSTD-10 and certainly would (and rightfully) be strapping everything.  So the effects of the 2004 & 2005 hurricane seasons shouldn't be used to justify upping the connection requirements in areas of the country where even a 90mph wind gust is extremely rare, and where existing toe-nailed rafter and truss connections have performed well.

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE

1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005

ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545

fax: 202-266-8369

gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com