Re: Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs.

Kevin,
See the literature for the different manufacturers of steel deck and precast planks.  I typically call out Verco decking.  (ICBO ER-2078P)  You get a 2 hour fire rating from a 3" metal deck with 3-1/4" ltwt concrete fill.
For the hollow core planks, we spec'd out planks by Hanson Spancrete.  We have an old catalog fo theirs, but they list the fire ratings based on the concrete cover to the prestressing strands.  On one project we needed 12" ltwt hollow core planks with a 3-1/2" nw conc topping, and that gave 2 hours (I believe...).
HTH.
David A. Topete, S.E.

Wildman & Morris
120 Howard Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94105
P:   (415) 896-2644
F:   (415) 896-2636
David.Topete(--nospam--at)wildman-morris.com

"Kevin Below" <kbelow(--nospam--at)genio.ca>

10/16/2006 03:10 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs.

I can't find Canadian code reference for the fire rating of a steel deck with concrete.
I need a 1 hour separation.  The architect says he thinks that we can avoid spraying fireproofing on the steel deck underside if the concrete thickness is increased.
(We would spray the joists and beams only).
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Supplementary question:
We are also considering hollow-core slabs.  All spans are 25 feet, and 8" slabs with a 2" topping seem appropriate.  Anyone have experience with these ?  Any nightmares to be avoided ?

Kevin Below