Re: Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs.

Kevin:

For hollowcore planks:

Per my Spancrete literature (which is kind of dated, but still should be
fine), a 6" to 12" plank with a strand cover of 1.25" will have an
unrestrained fire rating of 1 hour per UL J982.  Going to 2" of cover gets
you 2 hours of unreinstrained fire rating per UL J959.  UL J925 gets you
1.5 hours (unrestrained) or 2 hours (restrained) with 1.5" of cover and UL
J924 gets you 1 hour (unrestrained) or 4 hours (restrained) with 1.5" of cover.

If you want general guidance, then you can take a look at the PCI Design
Handbook.  It does not give direct fire ratings, but has a section on fire
ratings of precast concrete that could be used to analytically come up
with something.

For concrete on metal deck:

You can get a 1 hour rating out of 3.5" NW concrete above the flutes or
2.5" LW concrete above the flutes with composite deck using a variety of
UL Design Numbers (i.e. different numbers relate to slightly different
configurations...you would need a UL book for figure out what the EXACT
configuration is for the UL #).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI