Re: Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs.

You can see UL listings on line at
 http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm
Canadian UL listings and US UL listings are not interchangeable though; at least they weren't in the past. I know they were trying to work out their differences a few years ago but I don't know if that was successful.

Some deck manufacturer's also list UL rated assemblies in their catalogs and on their web sites.

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> wrote:
Kevin:

For hollowcore planks:

Per my Spancrete literature (which is kind of dated, but still should be
fine), a 6" to 12" plank with a strand cover of 1.25" will have an
unrestrained fire rating of 1 hour per UL J982. Going to 2" of cover gets
you 2 hours of unreinstrained fire rating per UL J959. UL J925 gets you
1.5 hours (unrestrained) or 2 hours (restrained) with 1.5" of cover and UL
J924 gets you 1 hour (unrestrained) or 4 hours (restrained) with 1.5" of cover.

If you want general guidance, then you can take a look at the PCI Design
Handbook. It does not give direct fire ratings, but has a section on fire
ratings of precast concrete that could be used to analytically come up
with something.

For concrete on metal deck:

You can get a 1 hour rating out of 3.5" NW concrete above the flutes or
2.5" LW concrete above the flutes with composite deck using a variety of
UL Design Numbers (i.e. different numbers relate to slightly different
configurations...you would need a UL book for figure out what the EXACT
configuration is for the UL #).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 David.Topete(--nospam--at)wildman-morris.com wrote:

> Kevin,
> See the literature for the different manufacturers of steel deck and
> precast planks. I typically call out Verco decking. (ICBO ER-2078P) You
> get a 2 hour fire rating from a 3" metal deck with 3-1/4" ltwt concrete
> fill.
> For the hollow core planks, we spec'd out planks by Hanson Spancrete. We
> have an old catalog fo theirs, but they list the fire ratings based on the
> concrete cover to the prestressing strands. On one project we needed 12"
> ltwt hollow core planks with a 3-1/2" nw conc topping, and that gave 2
> hours (I believe...).
> HTH.
> David A. Topete, S.E.
>
> Wildman & Morris
> 120 Howard Street, Suite 500
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> P: (415) 896-2644
> F: (415) 896-2636
> David.Topete(--nospam--at)wildman-morris.com
>

> "Kevin Below"
> 10/16/2006 03:10 PM
> Please respond to

> cc
>
> Subject
> Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs.
>

> I can't find Canadian code reference for the fire rating of a steel deck
> with concrete.
> I need a 1 hour separation. The architect says he thinks that we can
> avoid spraying fireproofing on the steel deck underside if the concrete
> thickness is increased.
> (We would spray the joists and beams only).
> Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
>
> Supplementary question:
> We are also considering hollow-core slabs. All spans are 25 feet, and 8"
> slabs with a 2" topping seem appropriate. Anyone have experience with
> these ? Any nightmares to be avoided ?
>

> Kevin Below

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org