RE: builders win big in first code hearing round

"Ehrlich, Gary" <gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com> wrote:
> Having both been involved in the hearings and having
> contributed to the
> article, I guess I should de-lurk and respond to the comments here.

Gary,
Could you comment on this proposal from NAHB?  What drove this change
proposal and is this a code change proposal for the IRC or will there be
changes to the IBC/ASCE7 wind provisions for topographic effects?

"Achieved approval of an NAHB proposal to reasonably address wind
speed-up due to topographic features in the design of homes built on the
tops of hills and ridges. The approved language significantly limits the
application of wind speed-up effect requirements to local jurisdictions
where there are documented, historical records of damage and where the
changes in terrain are abrupt - for example, the mountains and valleys
of the Hawaiian Islands or the high ridges along the Pacific coast.
These requirements, under which houses must be engineered and built to
costly hurricane-zone standards, are not justified in other areas, NAHB
argued."  - from
http://www.nbnnews.com/NBN/issues/2006-10-09/Front+Page/index.html

thanks

Dan Morrow, PE