Caliche Soil Bearing in UT

I’m working in the blind right now.  I have a project I’m starting in Varnel, Utah which is the NE corner of the state.  Some geotechnical work was done for perk test.  No official borings.  The person who did the perk tests bored down twice to 10 ft.  He said the soil is all Caliche.  I have not dealt with this type of soil before.  I understand it is a hard packed mixture of sand, clay and silt.  When the owner asked for a price for doing foundation geotechnical investigation the geotech said “Why would you need any additional information?  The ground around here will hold up any building”.

Can someone who has experience with caliche in the Utah area tell me if this stuff is wonderful for foundations?  What are typical bearing values for this stuff?  Are there any precautions in using it that I should be aware of?  Are geotech reports usually prepared or do you just put buildings up on it?

Thanks for your help.

Rich