RE: Caliche Soil Bearing in UT

I am receiving your email for some reason.

From: Neil Moore [mailto:nma(--nospam--at)omsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Caliche Soil Bearing in UT

I've inspected numerous concrete block buildings in Las Vegas.  Caliche is a big problem with differential movement and breaking up these buildings and the slabs on grade floors.    I would insist on a soil report.

Also, much of the soil in Las Vegas is "hot" - meaning that you'll have to use higher strength concrete and lower water cement ratios.  Check with either the building department.   We did a lot of monopoles there and these were standard requirements per the building department as far as the concrete was concerned.

I don't think that Utah caliche problems would be any different.

Check this out:   http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/FS01/FS0118.pdf

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associate
shingle springs, ca