RE: Problem with P/T Tendon Stressing Procedure

You really need to do a wedge set, friction loss calc (including wobble effects) to find out what the actual stresses are from end to end.  The P/T Manual has examples of how to do this by hand, ADAPT also has software that will do the same. The P/T vendor for the job should also be able to do a run (or at least have the engineer he used to come up with the required number of tendons based on the minimum force and drape requirements specified in your CD's). If all of the above fails, send me a diagram of the drape, and other project specific particulars and I'll run an analysis using my own software.

Matthew Stuart

________________________________

From: Gil Brock [mailto:gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com]
Sent: Wed 10/18/2006 7:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Problem with P/T Tendon Stressing Procedure

Brent,

1   With this procedure they should not have achieved the target extensions. I would want to know how they got the numbers right by only applying half the prestress at one end and the full prestress at the other. One problem I have with the PTI prestressing rules is that the stressers actually know what extension result they are chasing. I know of several cases where stressers have fudged the results to agree with what they were chasing. In our practice, they are never given copies of the expected extensions.

2   If they only stressed to half jacking force at the first end, then the tendons forces at that end and for the first 1/2 of the tendon are well below what is required by your design. And your slab is under strength. It is not only a seating problem, the prestress force in the tendons is deficient and the service and ultimate strength are deficient. Yes I would definitely get them to stress the first end to the full jacking force.