buttresses

Title: Message
Can anyone give me a little guidence/reference in designing buttresses?

We have a situation where an existing wall is retaining about 12'-0" of soil.  It is braced at the top w/ steel roof joists that span between the wall in question and another bearing wall.   The joists and bearing wall are to be removed.  Which leaves us with the retaining wall unbraced at the top.

We were thinking of adding buttresses to help support the wall.