Headed Stud Failure at Embed Plate

            Bradford,

                        If the studs were stick-welded, there would be either a conical void in the concrete where the fillet weld had fused to the plate but broken off the stud or a larger than ¾” diameter end of stud, which includes the weld. What I’ve seen is the fillet fused to both plate and stud and the stud sheared off at the toe of the weld. It was an embed that was loaded cyclically and more heavily than was understood at the time of design. Since you do not mention seeing this relic of the fillet, I assume they were shot on. If they were shot properly, they probably still sheared in the shank just beyond the weld.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia