Re: buttresses

Your idea of adding buttresses may work.  Just realize that in its
present condition, the wall spans vertically.  Adding the buttresses and
removing the top support may cause the wall to span more horizontally.
The book "Foundation Analysis and Design" by Joseph Bowels has a chapter
on the design of counterfort and buttress walls.

And I'm sure you realize that the buttress must be in place before the
joists are removed.

--Kipp Martin
  Carollo Engineers
  Portland, Oregon

>>> "amanipula" <amanipula(--nospam--at)novagroupinc.net> 10/18/2006 3:14 pm >>>
Can anyone give me a little guidence/reference in designing
buttresses?

We have a situation where an existing wall is retaining about 12'-0"
of
soil.  It is braced at the top w/ steel roof joists that span between
the wall in question and another bearing wall.   The joists and
bearing
wall are to be removed.  Which leaves us with the retaining wall
unbraced at the top.

We were thinking of adding buttresses to help support the wall.