Residential Retrofit in Riverside California - Engineer Needed

I received a call this morning from a man who is purchasing an old home in Riverside California constructed in 1910. The home is wood framed and sits on an Unreinforced masonry foundation. There is also a partial basement in the building and it appears that the head and bed joints are in need of repointing.

I can’t take this job as it is too far from me (80 miles) and would like to recommend someone to the client who has an understanding of residential retrofits and cripple wall strengthening. I’m not sure if the URM foundation can be pointed and anchored securely to or if it would be more cost effective to create a new dead-man grade beam and tie it to the existing cripple wall or install a shearwall system parallel to the perimeter walls.

If you are interested in this type of project, please e-mail me privately and I’ll give you the name and phone number to contact.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net