Modelling a Load on a Floating Barge

List,

I have a job to design supports for a small crane tower on a barge. The total load is approximately 48 kips and my problem is to place beams across the barge to support the tower. There are internal stiffeners in the barge at 24" centres so any beam will be essentially sitting on an elastic foundation.

However I don't know what spring constant (stiffness) to use for the barge sitting in the water. Can anybody offer me some enlightenment?

Gary