From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:18 PM
To: SEAINT Mail List
Subject: Modelling a Load on a Floating Barge

List,

I have a job to design supports for a small crane tower on a barge.  The

total load is approximately 48 kips and my problem is to place beams
across the barge to support the tower.  There are internal stiffeners in

the barge at 24" centres so any beam will be essentially sitting on an
elastic foundation.

However I don't know what spring constant (stiffness) to use for the
barge sitting in the water.  Can anybody offer me some enlightenment?

Gary