From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: 18-Oct-06 07:50
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Fire rating of steel deck floor and hollow-core slabs

            Kevin,

                        I’ve been smacking my hands to keep from responding to your question as I have no idea what is in the Canadian Code, but fire has been a very popular issue on many of our projects recently. In the US, UL labels for concrete (by itself) are becoming obsolete. IBC incorporated in Chapter 7 what I think was in UBC, giving all sorts of rules for concrete thickness and cover requirements. I walk architects through these tables all the time (six years later), and they often say they did not know this was there. Well, it took us a couple of years to find them too. Tables 720 are not quite as helpful as Tables 721 for me, but 720 might be better for you as it discusses more assemblies.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia