LOADS ON FOATING BARGE

You wrote:

List,

I have a job to design supports for a small crane tower on a barge.  The
total load is approximately 48 kips and my problem is to place beams
across the barge to support the tower.  There are internal stiffeners in
the barge at 24" centres so any beam will be essentially sitting on an
elastic foundation.

However I don't know what spring constant (stiffness) to use for the
barge sitting in the water.  Can anybody offer me some enlightenment?

Gary
REPLY:

Use "Formulas for natural frequency..." by Blevins.
If not clear what to use as stiffness, compare with a simple system,
which has sqrt(k/M) in it.  Compare the expressions and "k" will be obvious.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz.