From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 7:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Modeling a Load on a Floating Barge

Mathew,
Thanks for the reminder. I once worked in a fab shop that built a 30"
diam spud for a barge(derrick) which subsequently cracked at a weld and
partially failed-the spud not the barge.  My job is a barge that has to
be moved along a wall in the Niagara River to pour a new wall.  The
tower is really part of a concrete pump but it almost looks like a
crane.  I assumed that they will want to move along the existing wall so

the spuds may not be necessary, but I will inquire about it.  However I
believe that the spuds only hold the barge in position and it is free to

move up and down on them--- go with the flow, ride the tide?
Gary

Stuart, Matthew wrote:
> Normally, a crane would only be placed on top of what is known as a
spud
> barge. A floating barge that has piles that can be dropped down to the
> mudline similar to outriggers on a truck crane.
>
> D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., F.ASCE, SECB
> Senior Project Manager
> Structural Department
> Associate
> Schoor DePalma Engineers and Consultants
> 200 State Highway Nine
> Manalapan, NJ 07726
> 732-577-9000 (Ext. 1283)
> 908-309-8657 (Cell)
> 732-298-9441 (Fax)
> mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com

The

> total load is approximately 48 kips and my problem is to place beams
> across the barge to support the tower.  There are internal stiffeners
in

> the barge at 24" centres so any beam will be essentially sitting on an

> elastic foundation.
>
> However I don't know what spring constant (stiffness) to use for the
> barge sitting in the water.  Can anybody offer me some enlightenment?
>
> Gary

> *
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp