Fwd: Column Base fixity

"Anantha Narayan C.K." <anant_27(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
From Anantha Narayan C.K. Tue Oct 24 17:51:07 2006
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:51:07 +0100 (BST)
From: "Anantha Narayan C.K." <anant_27(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Column Base fixity
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Greetings,

ASCE 7-02 requires that when a ELF procedure is applied to a building, the bases of the column are assumed to be fixed.

Is there any similar restrictions that are required for modal analysis? I am trying to model all columns as pinned and provide 4 anchor bolts per OSHA requirements and not design then for additional moments. I have a braced frame system with concrete shear walls as my lateral system. I am intending to carry all my lateral forces through the shear wall and braced frame. can I in this case go ahead and model my column base as a pinned base?

Thanks
Anantha

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer