RE: Bentonite water stops - troubleshooting

I would think that they are locating the waterstop too close to the face of the concrete. When it swells up, it breaks out the face of the concrete. Locate the waterstop between the two layers of rebar near the center of the wall.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bentonite water stops - troubleshooting

I just received some information from a contractor that is having
problems with bentonite water stops.  It seems that these water stops
have been splitting out the walls in which they were installed - both
above and below grade (electrical vaults, bottom of an elevator pit,
thick slab edge where it joins a wall).  I've specified these a couple
of times, but it has been 5-6 years and I haven't had any hands-on field
experience with failures of this type.

Does anyone know of a good resource (in the industry or at ACI) for this
type of failure and its causes? I'd like to both get the information
back to the contractor, as well as find out what the limitations or
caveats are on these things.  I know they're preferred over bulb-style
water stops for their ease of installation, and they seem to be spec'd
often.  Where can I find out about the dark side of bentonite water stops?

--
Jordan