Bentonite water stops - troubleshooting

I just received some information from a contractor that is having problems with bentonite water stops. It seems that these water stops have been splitting out the walls in which they were installed - both above and below grade (electrical vaults, bottom of an elevator pit, thick slab edge where it joins a wall). I've specified these a couple of times, but it has been 5-6 years and I haven't had any hands-on field experience with failures of this type.

Does anyone know of a good resource (in the industry or at ACI) for this type of failure and its causes? I'd like to both get the information back to the contractor, as well as find out what the limitations or caveats are on these things. I know they're preferred over bulb-style water stops for their ease of installation, and they seem to be spec'd often. Where can I find out about the dark side of bentonite water stops?

--
Jordan