Re: Electrical conduit pipe used as columns

On 10/25/06, Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com> wrote:
I have a case where electrical conduit piping is being used as
structural columns. You can look at the columns and see the sleeves
where sections of the pipe were screwed together and the exposed threads
at the top.   I have the OD, but it wasn't possible to determine the
wall thickness.  It's steel of some sort based on the rust.  Can anyone
give me on a lead on possible wall thicknesses and steel type?

for dimensional info

http://www.alliedeg.com/pdf/ATC-L-1749.pdf

my recollection is that rigid (thick wall) electrical conduit is dimensionally similar to Sch 40 pipe...... just  marginally thinner (.-00X")

I'd give this mfr a call

cheers
Bob