From: Kris Hamilton [mailto:kph(--nospam--at)geigerengineers.com] Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Loads on Floating Barge

(I haven't posted in a couple of years; this is the first time in ages that
I've felt like I have the time to read and respond to the threads.)

If I understand the Loads on Floating Barge question correctly, Gary is
asking for the global spring-constant for the analysis of the barge and
crane.  In this case the spring constant is simply 62.4 #/sf/ft in fresh
water, 64.2 in salt water.  Actual deflection of the barge, no matter how
large (unless it is so soft that the ends lift out of the water-plane), will
not change the spring constant.

Regards,

Kris P. Hamilton, PE
Geiger Engineers