Re: Loads on Floating Barge

Rich:

You are correct, there is a limit to the spring constant.  But, as depicted
by your example of the styrofoam block, it is limited to the case
technically known as "sunk".  Then the constant goes to zero, and the force
is constant.

When the first part of the barge goes under water, the water-plane area
starts to go down, and the average spring constant for the entire barge will
decrease linearly with the water-plane area.  So long as the floating
structure still has any water-plane area left there will still be a spring
constant, however small.

Locally, if an object is partially submerged, that portion of the structure
that is submerged will have a constant force upward, and a spring constant
of zero.  The portion that is still above water will have a linearly varying
force.

We have used this feature by using completely submerged concrete marina
units (w/ styrofoam cores) to provide a constant force upwards to balance
the dead load and reduce the bending of an extra-long heavy-duty ramp to a
marina walkway.

A nice thing about floating structures is that exclusive of lateral loads
(waves, seismic) the loads are easy to accurately predict.

Regards,

Kris P. Hamilton, PE
Geiger Engineers
114 W. Magnolia Street