Re: Coupled Shear Walls

Actually, I think you would determine the stiffness of each wall and then distribute the loading to each one so that the deflections are equal.  This is typically what I do when designing CMU walls with unequal control joint spacings or if there are large openings in some of the sections.

bks

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: Coupled Shear Walls

If I understand your question, I believe what is needed is to design each element (each of the shear walls in the same line) so that they each have approx. equal deflection. For example if a 4 ft. length wall is in line with a 10 ft. length wall, the 4 ft. wall might need plywood on both side with heavier nailing so that the deflection will equal the deflection of the 10 ft. long wall with plywood on only one side and with less nailing. And the hold downs will be different for each.
Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA

Checked by AVG Free Edition.