Re: Is there a correlation?

At the risk of boring our younger readers I'll mention that when I was in high school, about a decade before you, I was making $1.25 at my summer job in a lumber yard and marveling that the permanent guys there were supporting families on $1.50 an hour.  I decided then that college led to a better future for me.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 10/29/06 8:42:18 AM, bruckmandesign(--nospam--at)verizon.net writes:
Reminds me of a drafting instructor in high school back in the late-60s that told me that if I chose drafting as a career I had a chance to make 8, maybe even 10 dollars an hour if I became a senior draftsman.    Although I had aspirations to become an architect and not just a draftsman, at the time I thought, “Wow, even if I fail at architecture, what am I going to do with all that extra money even if I only end up a draftsman?”

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:04 AM
To: ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Is there a correlation?

Every time I think about rates I recall how my partners and I anguished over raising our *billing* rate from $18 to $20 in the early '70s, fearing that we'd lose all of our clients.  We didn't.  :)

Ralph

In a message dated 10/28/06 9:20:50 AM, ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org writes

> From: "Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>

> Bill,
> If you're busy as heck, just raise your rates.
> Gary

I've done that and found a couple things:
1) no reaction,
2) they're too busy to shop around,
3) everybody else is busy and raising rates (covertly in fixed fee
proposals, overtly in hourly rates and more O/T charges),
4) my number increases are so small in their overall budget that it is
meaningless,
5) it just gets passed to the owner as a project cost or buried in the
massive contingency fund.

Nobody has told me, yet, that they/I are going to lose a job because my
fee was too high. I'm preparing for another increase before the bottom
drops out. Take the money and run ....

It's that old elasticity price and demand curve at work.

Paul