SCBF column design

Greetings,

I am new to seismic design and am having difficulty interpreting the AISC seismic design specs.

I am designing the columns for a SCBF. Section 8.3 of the AISC seismic spec requires that the column be designed for the amplified seismic load (omega) if Pu/ phi Pc > 0.4 (which is my case). Does this mean that I design all my columns for the amplified seismic load and have nothing to do with the braces framing in @ the column?

I am trying to follow examples to see what the design procedure entails. In the SEAOC design manual, I find that the columns have been designed for yielding of the braces (full yielding of story above + 0.5 * yielding for story below). In my case it is resulting in columns that are heavy from the top story to the ground.

However, other design examples (Seismic design manual, NAIEM) designs the columsn for the omega factor and checks to see if that strength is less than the yielding of the brace.

Can anyone throw some light on what needs to be done?

Thanks
Anantha

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer