Inverted tapered steel girders

A pre-engineered type metal has roof girders that taper from an estimated 24" at the ends to 48" at mid-span.  Girders are 12ft on center and support gage metal C-channels.  The span is approximately 70ft.  The girder top flange is level.  The beam is spliced at midspan with connection angles welded to the flanges and bolts (in tension) tieing the lower flanges together.  There is no web connection.  There are no diaphragms or braces between members.  The building is in central NJ.

This looks like a potential stability problem to me, but because of the taper and the splice, I'm not sure how to verify or quantify this.  Is anyone familiar with such beam configurations?

I understand that the metal building manufacturers that made this type of member are no longer in business, but that's hear-say.  I did not note a manufacturer on the building, and I can't re-visit the site to look for this info.

I would like to recommend someone to the Owner so that these members can be reviewed further.  Perhaps an experieneced metal building design engineer has seen this before.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA