Re: Inverted tapered steel girders

When I mentioned that the steel girders lacked diaphragms, I meant that they lacked any bracing between each other, as in bar joist construction.  The building has a metal deck and x-rod bracing for an overall diaphragm.

My query is to determine if there is a risk of a lateral torsional buckling type failure because the beam's lower flange is kinked.  I am guessing that at some point the flange could pull to the side as it tries to straighten itself out under load.   But that's just a hunch.

Jim

"sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com" <sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com> wrote:
Tapered steel girders are quite common in my experience. You didn't say what kind of diaphragm there was. It could be steel with or without lightwt. concrete. It will have to take horizontal shear from wind/seismic.
I assume that when you said the top chord was level you meant it was almost level but with slope for drainage.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA