Re: Aluminum Channels

On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:00 AM, M. David Finley, P.E., P.A. wrote:

Looking at the 2000 Aluminum Design Manual (the 2005 edition is still in transit), several different channel types are listed:  Aluminum Association Standard Channels, Channels, Army-Navy Channels, Special Channels, & Wing Channels.  Is any one of these the most commonly used by fabricators?  Do some fabricators use a brake press (or other equipment) to "make their own"?
Depends a lot on how much you need. Most of what I've seen in catalogs has been AA sizes. There may also be some delivery issues with styles that are tun--just not very often. If you need some specifics, do a Google search on 'aluminum structurals' and see what major service centers (Ryerson, Jorgenson, etc) have around.

Aluminum structurals are commonly extruded, not brake-formed. I'd be real careful about having someone make me this kind of stuff. You want to make sure that you don't over strain corner radii and that the resulting sections are straight and true. You don't do that sort of thing to save money because rolling-your-own isn't economical if it's done properly.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/