Re: Aluminum Channels

David,

I have always specified the Aluminum Association channels and have never had fabricators say they were not available.  Be careful though, as the max length that you can get is between 20 and 25 feet.  If you need something longer, you may need to create a moment joint.   I second Christopher's warning about trying to make a channel from flat plate by bending.

--Kipp Martin, S. E., P. E.
  Carollo Engineers
  Portland, Oregon

>>> "M. David Finley, P.E., P.A." <davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com> 11/1/2006 9:00 am >>>
Looking at the 2000 Aluminum Design Manual (the 2005 edition is still in
transit), several different channel types are listed:  Aluminum Association
Standard Channels, Channels, Army-Navy Channels, Special Channels, & Wing
Channels.  Is any one of these the most commonly used by fabricators?  Do
some fabricators use a brake press (or other equipment) to "make their own"?
David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025