Stacked bond cmu

I have not done much design with stacked block but I understand that it should always be solid grouted when it is used to resist wind or for any other structural purposes. Is this a code requirement? I think I remember working on an addition to a school originally built in the 80's that had existing stacked bond exterior walls that were reinforced horizontally and vertically, but were only partially grouted.

Will Haynes