Re: Stacked bond cmu

"I have not done much design with stacked block but I understand that it
should always be solid grouted when it is used to resist wind or for any
other structural purposes"

No that's not correct, in an unreinforced wall the allow. flexural stress
in the block is lower for stack bond but in a reinforced wall they are the
same (stacked vs running) even partially grouted. Grouting the wall for all
intents and purposes increases you vertical load carrying ability not your
flexural capacity (unless you use a lot of flexural steel which in highly
loaded walls will increase the comp. stress block).

HTH,
Rand

             "Will Haynes"
             <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.co
                                       seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
             11/02/2006 06:25                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Stacked bond cmu
             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

I have not done much design with stacked block but I understand that it
should always be solid grouted when it is used to resist wind or for any
other structural purposes. Is this a code requirement? I think I remember
working on an addition to a school originally built in the 80's that had
existing stacked bond exterior walls that were reinforced horizontally and
vertically, but were only partially grouted.

Will Haynes