RE: Foundation rocking

I believe that the BSSC NEHRP included some commentary about rocking action on foundations. You can look at it at the BSSC web site. I know it was discussed a lot in the Provisions Update Committee, and practitioners use it frequently and effectively.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "Kevin Below" <kbelow(--nospam--at)genio.ca>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Foundation rocking
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:33:14 -0500

Does anyone have a link or a reference to a good explanation of the
ramifications of foundation rocking in seismic design ?

It can be used a manner to dissipate energy, but is it a good manner ?

Does it reduce foundation sizes ?

génio structures

Kevin D. Below, ing., Ph.D. en Structures

290, rue Seigneuriale

Québec, QC G1C 3P8

Tél. : (418) 660-6969 poste 272

Fax : (418) 660-6463