Re: Stacked bond cmu

where do you read about full grout for lateral resisting systems?
IBC 2003, or ACI?  I have not seen that before.
Refugio

On 11/5/06, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
SDC D, E and F requires full grouting and open ended CMU if it is part of
the lateral force resisting system.

For normal out of plane flexure for stack bond CMU, read the commentary
section 2.3.3.3 of the ACI 530.  It explains the reason for the bond beam
requirements for stack bond CMU is the inability of stack bond masonry to
effectively transfer stresses across the head joint.

I generally assume the stack bond masonry to span vertically from bond beam
to bond beam.  The bond beams then span horizontally from vertically
reinforced cell to vertically reinforced cell.  The biggest hit is using the
width of the CMU as the compression flange width.  This drives the
compression stresses up.

I will either close the spacing up of the vertical cells or use 2 rebars in
a cell to maximize the distance between the compression flange face to the
center of the rebar.  This reduces the compression stress.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Will Haynes" <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
>To: seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Stacked bond cmu
>Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:25:03 -0500
>
>I have not done much design with stacked block but I understand that it
>should always be solid grouted when it is used to resist wind or for any
>other structural purposes. Is this a code requirement? I think I remember
>working on an addition to a school originally built in the 80's
>that had existing stacked bond exterior walls that were reinforced
>horizontally and vertically, but were only partially grouted.
>

>Will Haynes

Microsoft Office Live