Re: Structural wood beam support on a chimney

Thanks, Jordan.

I missed R1001.5 when I skimmed through the chapter.  A nice Simpson beam-to-masonry hanger should work just fine.

As far as designing the chimney for lateral forces, well...

Jim

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
I was under the impression that chimneys/flues should never be used for
any structural support, but a review of IRC2003 shows that you can, as
long as they're designed for the load (R1001.5). There doesn't appear
to be an allowance for combustible material bearing within the envelope
of the chimney. So you might use a face connection if you meet UL1777,
or if you can make the masonry chimney part of a "wall" (3:1, right?),
in which case you can bear provided you're more than 12" from the
interior of the flue. Or you can design the chimney to support the load
and put in a steel beam to be trimmed appropriately. Don't forget that
a hard connection to the masonry will make the chimney a significantly
stiff element in the lateral force resisting system, and it should be
designed to carry the lateral loads (wind, I would assume) for that side
of the building.

Jordan

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org