RE: Acidic Soil

Stuart,

You might also look into Grace's Bituthene self adhesive membrane sheets.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
11/10/2006 01:05 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
RE: Acidic Soil

You can formulate a concrete mix that would resist some measure of acid, but
a barrier is more of a sure thing.  A barrier is what is used commonly in
areas like Saudia Arabia for sulfate resistance.

I would suggest:
1.  Place a heavy membrane (similar to a T-Lock) on grade
2.  Place the rebar
3.  Form the sides of the foundations
4.  Place the concrete
5.  Strip the forms
6.  Apply a liquid membrane (a polyeurethane) on all vertical and exposed
horizontal surfaces to be in contact with the soil

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Stuart, Matthew" <mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Acidic Soil
>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:56:27 -0500
>
>I have a situation in which the sandy soil has a PH of 4.  Never run
>across this before. Any recommendations on the type of cement to use in
>the foundations.
>

>D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., F.ASCE, SECB
>
>Senior Project Manager
>
>Structural Department
>
>Associate
>
>Schoor DePalma Engineers and Consultants
>
>200 State Highway Nine
>
>Manalapan, NJ 07726
>
>732-577-9000 (Ext. 1283)
>
>908-309-8657 (Cell)