From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:10 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: sandwich panels in seismic design category D?

Scott:

Actually, the most current version of AC04 (since March of Feb 2004, but
has since been "tweaked") has a criteria for evaluating the use of SIP
shearwalls in _ALL_ IBC Seismic Design Catergories.  There is now an
Appendix A that does matched testing between a SIP shearwall and a
stick-framed shearwall and if the SIP wall meets bascially 85% or so of
certain cirteria of the stick-framed wall (i.e. energy dissipation,
allowalbe story drift, stiffness criterion, and peak strength).

Now, to my knowledge there are no SIP manufactures that have completed
such testing AND gotten an updateed ICC-ES report with such evaluation
included.  I know that the SIP company (Insulsapn) that I work for
part-time is in the process of completing the testing but does not yet
have an updated report.  Last time I checked Premier does not have an
updated report as of yet, but I am fairly sure that they have completed
testing.

Regardless, there are projects with SIP shearwalls going up in high
seismic areas.  We are currently finishing up a home in the Tahoe area
(UBC Zone 3, but HUGE seismic mass due to HUGE ground snow
loads...something like 300 psf).  We have some preliminary test
information from some of our earlier Appendix A testing that I can supply
on a case by case basis that engineers and code officials can use as a
basis to determine if they approve the use of SIP shearwalls.

If you want to discuss this further, then feel free to contact me
privately and I can get you my mobile phone number if you want to call me
(I am currently at the Timber Framers' Guild Conference).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI