From: Mark L. Puccio [mailto:mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Ground bearing slabs without control joints

We have a project in which for various reasons we wish to have a slab on ground without control joints. Section 7.12 of ACI discusses minimum temp and shrinkage steel for structural slabs but the commentary states this is not intended for SOG. Would using the minimum areas of steel p = 0.0018 be conservative?  If section 7.12.1.2 & 9.2.7 (for restrained slabs) is followed how would you practically quantify the force of shrinkage?

The floor area is about 150x 65 and we could probably divided this up into thirds with moving construction joints.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark L. Puccio P.E., S.E.