From: "Mark L. Puccio" <mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Ground bearing slabs without control joints
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:45:13 -0600

We have a project in which for various reasons we wish to have a slab on
ground without control joints. Section 7.12 of ACI discusses minimum temp
and shrinkage steel for structural slabs but the commentary states this is
not intended for SOG. Would using the minimum areas of steel p = 0.0018 be
conservative?  If section 7.12.1.2 & 9.2.7 (for restrained slabs) is
followed how would you practically quantify the force of shrinkage?

The floor area is about 150x 65 and we could probably divided this up into
thirds with moving construction joints.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark L. Puccio P.E., S.E.