From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Ground bearing slabs without control joints

It is done all of the time.
Kalman flooring does industrial floors routinely with controled mixes with
shrinkage compensating concrete, and details that allow the concrete to
shrink in a controled fashion.
The water and waste water industry does it with a lot of reinforcing steel.
The paving industry does it with continuous reinforced concrete paving CRCP.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Mark L. Puccio" <mpuccio(--nospam--at)mpsqrd.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Ground bearing slabs without control joints
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:45:13 -0600
>
>We have a project in which for various reasons we wish to have a slab on
>ground without control joints. Section 7.12 of ACI discusses minimum temp
>and shrinkage steel for structural slabs but the commentary states this is
>not intended for SOG. Would using the minimum areas of steel p = 0.0018 be
>conservative?  If section 7.12.1.2 & 9.2.7 (for restrained slabs) is
>followed how would you practically quantify the force of shrinkage?
>

>The floor area is about 150x 65 and we could probably divided this up into
>thirds with moving construction joints.
>

>Thanks for your thoughts.
>

>Mark L. Puccio P.E., S.E.

Use your PC to make calls at very low rates
https://voiceoam.pcs.v2s.live.com/partnerredirect.aspx