Re: Lath and plaster shear walls

In a message dated 11/15/2006 8:28:14 AM Pacific Standard Time, jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net writes:

I guess it never ends as to what will be seen.  I was called to a site where a remodel is under construction.  The house is probably 20 to 25 years old.  The exterior walls were constructed with foam panels over the studs and then woven wire lath and plaster over the foam.  I'm not super familier, but I wouldn't think this is a proper exterior system.  The IBC lists a portland cement plaster with shear wall values, but what is the entire system requirements?  Fastener sizes are shown.  Is there some backing required?  I guess I'm looking for some direction here.  Is there any texts, mfg. data, industry standards?

Any Help.

Joe Grill

Joe:

Valuse in the code are for Plaster being directly attached to the studs.  Otherwise you have to design the fastners for the cantilever through the foam.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA