Re: Lath and plaster shear walls

Thanks guys,

Pretty much what I thought, just wanted to make sure.  There are some sporadic light gage diagonal braces, but I'm not real crazy about those especially when I see the rest of the construction.

Joe G.

On Wed Nov 15 14:13 , 'Harold Sprague' sent:

What you are describing is Exterior Insulating Finish System (EIFS) not lath
and plaster, and it is not a structural system suitable for shear walls.
Joe Venuti is correct on the load resistance mechanism.

Check out
http://www.eima.com/
http://www.wbdg.org/design/env_wall_eifs.php
There are illustrations that probably show your system.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Re: Lath and plaster shear walls
>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:22:22 EST
>

>In a message dated 11/15/2006 8:28:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net writes:
>
>I guess it never ends as to what will be seen. I was called to a site
>where
>a remodel is under construction. The house is probably 20 to 25 years
>old.
>The exterior walls were constructed with foam panels over the studs and
>then
>woven wire lath and plaster over the foam. I'm not super familier, but I
>wouldn't think this is a proper exterior system. The IBC lists a portland
>cement plaster with shear wall values, but what is the entire system
>requirements? Fastener sizes are shown. Is there some backing required?
>I guess I'm
>looking for some direction here. Is there any texts, mfg. data, industry
>standards?
>Any Help.
>Joe Grill
>

>Joe:
>
>Valuse in the code are for Plaster being directly attached to the studs.
>Otherwise you have to design the fastners for the cantilever through the
>foam.
>
>Joe Venuti
>Johnson & Nielsen Associates
>Palm Springs, CA

Microsoft Office Live

Msg sent via CableONE.net MyMail - http://www.cableone.net ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********