Re: CMU Shear Wall Tension Steel

Joe,

To my knowledge, that answer would be a kind of "yes and no".

As far as I know, the official answer could be construed as a "no".  This
is because, to my knowledge, the MJSC (aka ACI 530) does not yet address
"boundary elements" of shearwalls.  I believe it is on their agenda (it
could be in the upcoming 2008 edition...which will have its public comment
period sometime this Spring).

On the other hand, it is something that is addressed and permitted to a
degree in ACI 318 (i.e. boundary elements).  As such, I don't see why
similar principles would not apply to CMU masonry with some modifications
(likely minor).  So, if you are not looking for a "blessing" of in the
code, then I don't see why you could not do it...with in reason.

Now, since you did not give any definitive specifics of your situation, I
won't/can't comment if I think it is "with in reason" in your case.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI