Re: CMU Shear Wall Tension Steel

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.  I am looking at a remodel where a length of cmu wall is going to be removed.  I have no idea if it was intended to be a shear wall or not as the building is probably 20 years old at least.  No drawings or calculations are available.  At the other end of the wall (which is full of openings) there is a 16 ' long cmu wall with returns at both ends.  The wall works fine in shear (unreinforced) per code requirements in our seismic location.  If I use the 4' return allowed at the ends of the walls as allowed for an 8" unit I need 2-#5 bars for tension steel (disregarding any intermediate vertical steel).  I will ask the contractor to verify the steel, but I'm assuming for now that there is a bar at the corners and at 48" o.c., but some of the detailing that I am seeing elsewhere it looks as though some thought was put into lateral and other design.  If I can use the additional bar which would be at the "toe" of the 4' flange then we wouldn't need to add any more steel in the wall.

Also, I'm real cranky with the new wind criteria.  A comparison of the 97 UBC and the IBC for this building has the wind load increasing 26 percent.  Otherwise, I wouldn't even have this question.  But then I've been real cranky with the new wind criteria since it came out.  For instance the criteria calcs for "partially enclosed".  Way too much to do for our small projects.

Thanks again,

Joe

On Fri Nov 17 16:28 , Scott Maxwell sent:

Joe,

To my knowledge, that answer would be a kind of "yes and no".

As far as I know, the official answer could be construed as a "no". This
is because, to my knowledge, the MJSC (aka ACI 530) does not yet address
"boundary elements" of shearwalls. I believe it is on their agenda (it
could be in the upcoming 2008 edition...which will have its public comment
period sometime this Spring).

On the other hand, it is something that is addressed and permitted to a
degree in ACI 318 (i.e. boundary elements). As such, I don't see why
similar principles would not apply to CMU masonry with some modifications
(likely minor). So, if you are not looking for a "blessing" of in the
code, then I don't see why you could not do it...with in reason.

Now, since you did not give any definitive specifics of your situation, I
won't/can't comment if I think it is "with in reason" in your case.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI