Re: Glulam roof girders

You can do it either way. You can have the beam faces vertical and have the top of the beams shaped for your slope or you can have the side faces of the beams perpendicular to the roof slope. If you have the side faces perpendicular to the roof slope, then you have to design the beams for the additional force parallel to the roof slope or take that force out in the deck diaphragm.

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

Will Haynes <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
On a sloped roof using glulam girders (the girders are running perpendicular to the slope, 2x joists running parallel with the slope) how is the roof sheathing normally attached to the glulams? Are the glulams actually rotated so the sloped sheathing sits flat on the top lamination or is the top of the glulam cut at the same angle as the slope?   I would think it would be difficult to erect if all the girders had to be rotated.

I made a quick sketch to show what I mean:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/haynewp/GL.jpg

Will Haynes

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

Sponsored Link

$420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!