Re: Glulam roof girders

If you do cut the slope into the top of the glulam beam (i.e. bevel cut
it), then be careful of your stresses.  If the cut slope is deep enough,
you could be causing stresses to be introduced into the laminations of the
glulam that are not the same as the top, cut laminations and thus could be
"overstressing" the laminations.  This can especially be true if you are
using and need a balanced lamination/grade (i.e. 24F-V8).

Instead of beveling the top lamination, I personally like leaving the top
of the glulam alone but placing a bevel cut "shim" piece on top (i.e. a
bevel cut 2x or LVL or couple of 2xs).  We encounter such situations
frequently in the SIP world.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI